Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter sabbath 2013

I've felt the need to connect and remain better connected to my family: living and dead. Those feelings are intensified around the holidays when we consider the things of greater significance, things beyond this life. My sister and her husband shared some tender stories about the angels among us in relation to their accident. Truly we do not walk this mortal journey alone and our footsteps often have several sets as angels surround us to bear us up.

It was with this in mind that I approached this Easter Sabbath. We don't do anything secular on the Sabbath, but we do have an egg hunt on Monday. We planned a dinner with historical and symbolic foods: lamb shank, barley, lentils, bulgar wheat salad, goat cheese, olives, bitter herbs, flatbread, grapes.

We sat on cushions on the floor and ate our simple meal after learning about the significance of what we would eat. Then we ate. We sang. We visited grandma Werner and sang to her as well. I wish we lived closer to family but since we don't, we give our love and helping hands to those within our reach.

I sure love my children, grandson Cristopher, parents, grandparents and ancestors that I am coming to love more each day.